June 16th,2002 until July 17th,2037
Forum Rules of Conduct
Forum Rules of Conduct.
As a registered member, you agree to these rules at registration time. For the betterment of the community and to keep this a pleasant place to interact amongst other Tolkien fans, all members of the community must adhere to these rules. By establishing these rules here at War of the Ring, we believe that it will lead to a better experience for everyone concerned.
1. No foul language!! Swearing, cussing. and general foul language has no place within the discussions in our community. We have an automated language censor installed to edit out foul language. The use of any special character to work around the language censor or to otherwise convey a banned word is expressly forbidden. This includes "*" "&" "^" "%" "$" "#" "@" or any combination thereof. The bottom line is that we require that you find words that express your feelings without swearing/cussing due to this being an all ages community.
2. Derogatory language that is intended
to denigrate, humiliate, or otherwise make fun of persons because of their
sexual orientation, race, or religious preference will not be permitted. These kinds of behaviour are not acceptable in the real world and so not in this virtual one.
3. Personal attacks, slander, or "flaming" will not be tolerated. Differences of opinion and feelings are common and should always be expressed respectfully. Remember to treat others with the same respect that you would expect from them.
4. Posting of pornographic images, and/or literature, posting links to pornographic images, and/or literature is expressly forbidden.
5. Sexually innuendo-laden or sexually suggestive/descriptive and/or outright sexually explicit posting is expressly forbidden as well. We have to remember that we have kids as young as 14 posting here and probably some of their parents reading over their shoulders from time to time.
6. No spamming or pointless posting. You will have noticed that we don't have a list of top posters or thread starters, the main reason being that we think it is pointless. All it shows is who might have the most time on their hands or is the quickest typist ;-).
7. Off-topic posts, posting two or more times in a row, and/or using a thread as a chatroom is forbidden. Stay within the topic of the thread. When starting threads, be sure to name your thread properly according to its subject, and make sure there is not already a thread on this subject. This creates a cleaner forum and assists users in easily searching for and following existing threads. (The built in 'Forum Search' feature works great for this.)
***Anyone flagrantly abusing these rules of conduct will receive a 1st 'Informal Warning' via private message from either a Moderator or Admin for the first offence. Second offence will result in a 2nd Informal by either a Moderator or Admin (we belive this to be fairer as it gives more breathing space for improvement).
A third offence will result in a'Formal Warning' via email from an Admin. If the behaviour is not corrected and a fourth offence takes place, then disciplinary action up to and including the loss of site privileges will result. IP Addresses are logged and may be used to revoke site privileges.
This list may be amended in the future. We've tried not to be too strict, and, hopefully, these few simple guidelines will lead to an active and friendly experience for everyone. As always, we thank you very much for your support and for making our War of the Ring Community a pleasant and fun place to be.
This is a reminder that you can edit your posts within 15 minutes of posting. If you have submitted a post and realise you want to change/add something more to it, you can click on the “edit" button which is located on the bottom right-hand side of the message box.
It is recommended that you do this to avoid double or triple posting, which takes up valuable forum space. If you find that you want to add to or change your post and the editing time has expired, please feel free to contact one of the moderators of that forum and request the change. As staff, we do this for each other regularly and so are perfectly willing to do so for members.
Any double or triple posts will be edited by a moderator, but we have lives too...please save us the trouble and use the edit button. :-)
The colours for text are mainly for highlighting and not writing whole posts all of the time. While we're all for fun (and that's why the colours are there ) if each member always posts in colours, the integrity of the design and the ease with which the boards are read will be lost.
Problem Escalation Procedure
Although Admin and Moderation staff do their best to supervise forums and member behaviour, we cannot be everywhere at once. As a member, you will be the best to know if you are in a situation you are unhappy with. When carried out, this procedure will help both members and staff to find where the problems are and sort them as quickly and efficiently as possible.
*If you come across a inapropriate post or have a problem with another member in a thread, submit the issue to a moderator by using the “Report this post to a moderator button" at the bottom of the post.
*If the problem lies with a member in general, or if you are unsatisfied with the response to the reported post, please notify the moderator for that forum via private message.
*If you are not satisfied with the response you get from the moderator, please contact an Admin via private message or email.
*If the issue remains unresolved, please contact Illuvatar by private message or email.
*If you have a problem with a member of our staff, please contact Illuvatar directly via private message or email.
Please remember to be respectful and courteous, but...most of all...have fun!
War of the Ring Team
'Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices if he will. But I will sit and hearken, and be glad that through you...great beauty has been wakened into song.' ~ The Music of the Ainur~
~Without humility, courage is a dangerous game.